Friday, June 18, 2010

Lilies




Getting back into drawing after a very long time: a stem of lilies that Blue, my four-year-old, picked for me. I've always preferred drawing living things to other objects. Flowers (unlike children) hold still long enough for you to draw them.

The four elements of the picture aren't identical but they're of similar weight, style, color, and size which pulls them together. I didn't set out to consciously create a "composition"--I just wasn't really happy with the first sketch so I tried another, and another--but I think the four together make a nicer picture than any of them would alone. It makes them look more deliberate and it's a bit easier to overlook the flaws in any single sketch.

I cropped the original a bit but it's essentially the same as on the page. Because it's on a white background on the blog, you can barely see the edges of the image. I rather like the negative space within it but the complete lack of a frame leaves the images sort of hanging in space. (I tried adding a border to it but couldn't figure out how to do that in Fireworks--sigh!)

1 comment: